Sunday, July 19, 2009

Wheatstone Sonnets

While at Wheatstone, I wrote a few sonnets. They're not very good, but I hope that to some extent they express some of the thoughts that were going through my head while there. But first, a haiku:

"I am unworthy,
My God," I cry in distress.
"Save me from my sin."


Heart in Turmoil

The fountain shoots up high into the air
As summer breezes blow across my back;
But on this summer afternoon so fair
My mind keeps running in its rutted track.
I listen to the water as it runs
And watch the branches sway with rustling leaves.
My thoughts go running, now by twos, now ones;
To God alone my heart, in turmoil, cleaves.
The Lord has made such high and wond'rous things,
And I so small can barely comprehend
How great His love for me. My soul, it clings
To Him whose holy love can have no end.
And though my mind has turmoil deep inside,
I know that God, my God, my paths will guide.


How Can I Learn to Love?

How can I learn to love with heart so frail
And full of want for what I do not need?
How can the little good in me prevail
When I your blatant signposts do not heed?
How can I learn to love the ones I should,
Those Thou hast set before me with intent,
And how can I influence them for good
When sin has left my heart in pieces rent?
O God, I need Thy pow'r to set me free
And strengthen feeble heart to love again;
I need Your healing pow'r so I can see,
And I will be a God-like lover then.
How can I love the one You've planned for me
When I am not the one I'm meant to be?


Wonder

How great the earth and sky that Thou hast made!
The running water, beautiful and clear,
The ruddy bricks and marble colonnade
Which man, with tools Thou givest, shapeth here.
I cannot help but wonder at the sun,
Which gives both warmth and light, and that to all;
The stars Thou makest, naming one by one,
As shimm'ring raiment for Your glorious hall.
I wonder, too, at man, beloved of Thee,
Whom blood of Jesus Christ, your Son, now frees.
I wonder that I, I have victory:
For I, of sinful men, am worst of these.
I wonder at the love and beauty shown
By Him who graciously made me His own.

No comments:

Post a Comment